[styledMap style=”classic” zoom=”16″ center=”66-505 Haleiwa Road, Haleiwa, HI 96712″ width=”670″ height=”300″ ] [addMarker position=”66-505 Haleiwa Road, Haleiwa, HI 96712″ icon=”miniBlue.png” description=”” ] [/styledMap]
Waialua School is a one-story rectangular stuccoed concrete structure with a wood frame gable roof and overhanging eaves with exposed rafters. It is rendered in the Spanish Mission style. The total building complex, completed in 1927, consisted of three structures symmetrically arranged about a central axis. The building located to the southwest of the main buidling was demolished in the 1960s. The other two buildings are still extant. Waialua School has architectural significance; the structure was designed by William D’Esmond and was constructed using concrete in the Spanish Mission style. Most of the local buildings built during this period were wood wall construction. In addition, this was the first school facility constructed in Waialua.
This list of Hawaii’s historic properties is provided as a public service by Historic Hawaii Foundation. It is not the official list of properties designated on the Hawaii State Register of Historic Places. For official designations and determinations of eligibility, contact the State Historic Preservation Division of the Department of Land and Natural Resources of the State of Hawaii at 808-692-8015.