Iolani Barracks (Halekoa)

Address
364 South King Street, Honolulu, HI 96813

TMK
(1) 2-1-025:002

SHPD Historic Site Number
80-14-9918; 80-14-1321

Abstract
Iolani Barracks is a single story structure that is rectangular in shape with a large interior court. Two-story towers were built at each corner with somewhat higher towers over each of the two entrances. The walls are coral block with cement mortar. Notched parapets create a fort-like appearance to the exterior of the building. Originally the walls were plastered with a smooth finish and scored to create an illusion of Gothic stone. Today the coral stone is uncovered. The barracks were originally located on what is now Hotel Street, but were moved in 1965. The structure was moved to its current location to make way for the new State Capitol building and rebuilt using the original materials. The Iolani Barracks were originally built to house the Royal Household Guard. Iolani Barracks is significant for its associations with the Hawaiian Kingdom and the development of the government thereafter.

This list of Hawaii’s historic properties is provided as a public service by Historic Hawaii Foundation. It is not the official list of properties designated on the Hawaii State Register of Historic Places. For official designations and determinations of eligibility, contact the State Historic Preservation Division of the Department of Land and Natural Resources of the State of Hawaii at 808-692-8015.

2017-04-21T01:02:52+00:00 February 19th, 2014|Categories: Historic Properties|Tags: |