Built between 1871 and 1874, the Aliiolani Hale was constructed of concrete block that were cast and fitted to resemble cut stone; a coral foundation supports the concrete block walls. The structure is two stories with a four story central clock tower and has a asymmetrical plan. The structure features lanais with Ionic columns and an arched entrance and arched windows. The interior features a two-story open rotunda with a balcony surrounding it on all sides; the interior has been extensively altered since its original construction. The Aliiolani Hale is significant in the history of Hawaii as the place of the reading of the declaration of the Provisional Government of the Hawaiian Island during the Revolution of 1893. This declaration marked the overthrow of the traditional Hawaiian monarchy and the beginning of government by American interests which eventually led to statehood for Hawaii. The Aliiolani Hale is also significant as a fine example of monarchy period architecture.
This list of Hawaii’s historic properties is provided as a public service by Historic Hawaii Foundation. It is not the official list of properties designated on the Hawaii State Register of Historic Places. For official designations and determinations of eligibility, contact the State Historic Preservation Division of the Department of Land and Natural Resources of the State of Hawaii at 808-692-8015.