The Walter Irving Henderson House is significant at the local level under National Register Criterion C for its type of construction, and as the work of a master. The first floor walls are an extant example of a type of lava rock construction type that was common in the Kona area during the mid-nineteenth century, while the entire second floor and interior of the first floor were designed by celebrated local architect Vladimir Ossipoff. The first period of significance is when the first floor structure was built, circa 1864, as a small Catholic church. The second period of significance is 1953, when the deteriorated church was renovated and the second floor was added, for use as a beach house. The catchment shed/bunkhouse contributes to the overall significance of the property, as an original Ossipoff design for the property. The dry-stack stone walls, which were extant when the house was built are also considered a contributing element. The boathouse was added in 1967. It is not an Ossipoff design, and is therefore not considered contributing.
This list of Hawaii’s historic properties is provided as a public service by Historic Hawaii Foundation. It is not the official list of properties designated on the Hawaii State Register of Historic Places. For official designations and determinations of eligibility, contact the State Historic Preservation Division of the Department of Land and Natural Resources of the State of Hawaii at 808-692-8015.