[styledMap style=”classic” zoom=”13″ center=”Fort Shafter, Honolulu, HI 96819″ width=”670″ height=”300″ ] [addMarker position=”Palm Circle Drive, Fort Shafter, Honolulu, HI 96819″ icon=”miniBlue.png” description=”Palm Circle, Fort Shafter” ] [/styledMap]
Palm Circle Drive, Fort Shafter
Honolulu, HI 96819
SHPD Historic Site Number
National Historic Landmark
National Register of Historic Places
Palm Circle consists of a large, grassed parade ground in a roughly oval shape with fifteen two-story, frame officers quarters lining the north and east sides of Palm Circle Drive, which encircles the parade. Former enlisted men’s barracks and other administrative buildings, including a swimming pool, border the southern side of the drive. They were constructed in 1907–1909. Palm Circle is significant for its association with World War II history in Hawaii. At the time Palm Circle housed the offices and quarters of the commanding general and his staff, U.S. Army Forces, Pacific Ocean Areas, which included all army forces in the Central Pacific and the South Pacific.
This list of Hawaii’s historic properties is provided as a public service by Historic Hawaii Foundation. It is not the official list of properties designated on the Hawaii State Register of Historic Places. For official designations and determinations of eligibility, contact the State Historic Preservation Division of the Department of Land and Natural Resources of the State of Hawaii at 808-692-8015.