St. Philomena Church was built at the Kalaupapa Leprosy Settlement on Molokai between 1872 and 1889. The initial church was constructed in 1872 by the Hansen’s disease patients living at Kalaupapa. Father Damien arrived in Kalawao in 1873 and helped expand the church twice. The original 1872 church was integrated into the expanded section and can be seen in the photos. The work on the church’s second expansion finished the year after his death. St. Philomena is now a part of the Kalaupapa National Park under the management of the National Park Service.
This list of Hawaii’s historic properties is provided as a public service by Historic Hawaii Foundation. It is not the official list of properties designated on the Hawaii State Register of Historic Places. For official designations and determinations of eligibility, contact the State Historic Preservation Division of the Department of Land and Natural Resources of the State of Hawaii at 808-692-8015.