The Honolua Store complex consists of three buildings – a Store (1929), Storeroom (ca. 1930), Warehouse (ca. 1935), and additions (1983, 2006) – which replaced an earlier store of the same name that was built on the opposite side of Office Road in 1912. The Store is a one-story, three-bay, Plantation Vernacular commercial building. The Storeroom is attached to the rear wall of the Store and oriented perpendicular to the Store building, which creates a T-shaped plan. The Storeroom is one-and-one-half stories in height. The Warehouse is located about 17 feet from the southeast wall of the Storeroom and is a reconstruction of the original Warehouse; it was built in 2006. The Honolua Store, Storeroom, and Warehouse are significant as excellent examples of Craftsman-inspired Plantation Vernacular commercial buildings which were erected in the second and third decades of the twentieth century on Maui. In addition, the buildings are directly related to the development of the pineapple industry on Maui, which became the second largest industry after sugar on the island and in Hawaii.
This list of Hawaii’s historic properties is provided as a public service by Historic Hawaii Foundation. It is not the official list of properties designated on the Hawaii State Register of Historic Places. For official designations and determinations of eligibility, contact the State Historic Preservation Division of the Department of Land and Natural Resources of the State of Hawaii at 808-692-8015.