This former Bank of Hawaii (1931-1938), and United States Post Service (1938-1956), is a 1,120 square foot concrete and masonry structure built in a “Hawaiian Regional Style,” often cited as the “C.W. Dickey style”. Typical of the style is the steeply sloped, double-pitched, hipped roof and large windows. The former Bank of Hawaii building is significant for its association with the Hawaiian Regional Style of architecture that developed in the 1920s and is emblematic of the C.W. Dickey. The architectural/engineering firm of Rothwell and Lester was influenced considerably by Dickey and worked with him on numerous occasions. It is also significant for its historical importance as an anchoring facility in a small plantation town. It is the only remaining intact structure from the commercial center of Haiku in the 1930s.
This list of Hawaii’s historic properties is provided as a public service by Historic Hawaii Foundation. It is not the official list of properties designated on the Hawaii State Register of Historic Places. For official designations and determinations of eligibility, contact the State Historic Preservation Division of the Department of Land and Natural Resources of the State of Hawaii at 808-692-8015.