The George P. Castle Mountain Residence was constructed circa 1901 as a mountain retreat for the Castles, who maintained their primary residence in Waikiki. It is significant for its architecture and its association with the development of Pacific Heights as a residential community, reflecting the trend of many prominent families in Honolulu during the early 20th century to have a “second house in the mountains”. The house sits on a large sloping lot with three large lychee trees in the yard and a splendid view of the city and Diamond Head. The house is a two-story frame dwelling rendered in a Swiss Chalet style. It is characterized by its inset, ground floor lanai and its centered second story bay window with a flared gable roof flanked by heavily bracketed balconies. The main, outset, body of the house is symmetrical, but the house is assymetrical with a kitchen wing and a setback master bedroom wing. A lava rock chimney stands on the right side of the house. The first story has board-and-batten walls and the second story is shingled, while a small ogee curve straps ornament a band between the first and second stories.
This list of Hawaii’s historic properties is provided as a public service by Historic Hawaii Foundation. It is not the official list of properties designated on the Hawaii State Register of Historic Places. For official designations and determinations of eligibility, contact the State Historic Preservation Division of the Department of Land and Natural Resources of the State of Hawaii at 808-692-8015.