The Honolulu Plantation Manager’s House is a two-story structure with horizontal clapboard siding and a tile hip roof with a slight double pitch. The house features a large wrap-around lanai that runs along the entire front facade facing the ocean to about a third of both sides. The craftsman elements include the lava rock, which has been painted white, battered foundation and decorative rafter ends on the enclosed overhanging eaves. Honolulu Plantation Manager’s House is significant for its association with the Honolulu Plantation, a vital force in the sugar industry and in the development of Aiea. From construction in 1924 until 1946 when Honolulu Plantation Company was purchased by the O`ahu Sugar Company, the house was utilized as the primary residence for the managers of the company. The house is also significant as a grand example of the colonial revival style adapted to Hawaii utilizing craftsman elements.
This list of Hawaii’s historic properties is provided as a public service by Historic Hawaii Foundation. It is not the official list of properties designated on the Hawaii State Register of Historic Places. For official designations and determinations of eligibility, contact the State Historic Preservation Division of the Department of Land and Natural Resources of the State of Hawaii at 808-692-8015.