54-3903 Akoni Pule Highway, Kapaau, Hawaii 96755
The Bond Memorial Library, built in 1834, is named for Dr. Benjamin D. Bond. In January 2009, it marked 80 years of continuous service to the town of Kapaau. In 1927, Caroline Bond deeded the land and $10,000 to the Territory of Hawaii to build a public library for Kapaau, then a thriving sugar town. In 1939, Senate Resolution 25 from the Hawaii Territorial Legislature named the library the “Benjamin D. Bond Library” in honor of a much-loved local philanthropist. The Bond Family funded a trust in 1936 that still pays for new books and materials for the library to this day. Sadly, the Bond Memorial Library will be replaced by a new $7 million building being built nearby on land donated by Surety Kohala Corporation. The Bond Memorial Library Building and its land will revert to the Bond Estate’s current owners, the New Moon Foundation.
This list of Hawaii’s historic properties is provided as a public service by Historic Hawaii Foundation. It is not the official list of properties designated on the Hawaii State Register of Historic Places. For official designations and determinations of eligibility, contact the State Historic Preservation Division of the Department of Land and Natural Resources of the State of Hawaii at 808-692-8015.