Historic Waimea Elementary School, Building N, is situated on the east end of the Hawaii Preparatory Academy Village Campus. Built in 1915, the building was originally situated where Waimea’s Elementary and Intermediate schools are currently located. The building was relocated to its present location in 2002. The Waimea Elementary School, Building N is significant under Criterion A for its role in the development of public education in the rural Hawaii Island community of Waimea, and as a military hospital during World War II. It is also significant under Criterion C as one of the earliest intact examples of a plantation-style school building constructed in the early 1900s.
This list of Hawaii’s historic properties is provided as a public service by Historic Hawaii Foundation. It is not the official list of properties designated on the Hawaii State Register of Historic Places. For official designations and determinations of eligibility, contact the State Historic Preservation Division of the Department of Land and Natural Resources of the State of Hawaii at 808-692-8015.