Hokuloa Church is located in the small coastal village of Puako on the island of Hawaii. Begun in 1858 and completed in 1860, it is the oldest functioning lava rock structure in the district of South Kohala. The architecture of the church is consistent with the style established by the early itinerant missionaries along the coasts of Hawaii. It is a simple, whitewashed, structure topped by a small wooden steeple. The Hokuloa Church is historically significant as an example of American Missionary churches in Hawaii. The materials used by Hawaiians to build the Hokuloa Church were primarily local. The Church is related to its original Congregational roots and continues to be the anchor for the Puako community. In addition the church initially represented Hawaii coming in contact with the outside world. The Church acted as a center of a new religion, book learning, and government administration.
This list of Hawaii’s historic properties is provided as a public service by Historic Hawaii Foundation. It is not the official list of properties designated on the Hawaii State Register of Historic Places. For official designations and determinations of eligibility, contact the State Historic Preservation Division of the Department of Land and Natural Resources of the State of Hawaii at 808-692-8015.