2438 Ferdinand Avenue / George R. Ward House

Address
2438 Ferdinand Avenue, Honolulu, HI 96822

TMK
(1) 2-9-008:030

SHPD Historic Site Number

The Ward House and its associated structures are significant at the local and state level for their association with the development of Manoa Valley, a prominent Honolulu suburb, and because the house, servants’ quarters and garage were designed by prominent Honolulu architect Hart Wood. The home retains much of its integrity, as both the home and its neighborhood have seen few changes in its ninety-plus years of existence. The home was constructed in 1923, and Manoa Valley remained a quiet, nearly rural, suburb with agriculture remaining in the lower valley until the Japanese attack of December 7, 1941, and the U.S. entry into World War II. The construction of the bomb shelter in 1942 corresponds to the end of the period of significance, for it was during the war, and the postwar period that the lower portion of the valley was developed, to become a more modern, purely residential, suburb.
The bomb shelter is additionally significant at the local and state level for its association with the island and state’s response to the December 7, 1941 attack.

This list of Hawaii’s historic properties is provided as a public service by Historic Hawaii Foundation. It is not the official list of properties designated on the Hawaii State Register of Historic Places. For official designations and determinations of eligibility, contact the State Historic Preservation Division of the Department of Land and Natural Resources of the State of Hawaii at 808-692-8015.

2017-04-21T01:01:08+00:00 March 21st, 2016|Categories: Historic Properties|Tags: |