The Battleship Missouri
is an Iowa-class battleship located in Pearl Harbor, moored at Ford Island along pier F-5. The battleship was originally constructed for the US Navy in 1941 in the New York Naval Shipyard. The ship is 887′ 3″ long with a 108′ 3″ beam and 209′ 8″ in height from keel to mast-top. The ship displaces 45,000 tons when empty with a draft of 38′. The ship retains the design features of her original 1940s construction with specific changes made to allow the addition of modern weapons platforms during her 1980s modernization. The USS Missouri
reflects the final evolution of battleship design and is a tangible example of American invention, engineering, and transportation capabilities. It embodies American military, maritime, political, and social history as a vital participant in defense of our nation from World War II to Desert Storm. As the site of the formal ceremony ending World War II, the USS Missouri
is uniquely qualified as an internationally significant historic site and will forever reflect the strength and determination of our nation and hope for a world at peace.
This list of Hawaii’s historic properties is provided as a public service by Historic Hawaii Foundation. It is not the official list of properties designated on the Hawaii State Register of Historic Places. For official designations and determinations of eligibility, contact the State Historic Preservation Division of the Department of Land and Natural Resources of the State of Hawaii at 808-692-8015.