Constructed in 1942, the headquarters building for the Commander in Chief Pacific Fleet was built on Makalapa Hill, across Kamehameha Highway from Halawa Gate, Pearl Harbor Naval Base. Originally, the white, reinforced-concrete structure had two stories above ground and a bombproof basement. By early 1945, an additional story had been built on top of the building. The CINCPAC building commemorates Admiral Chester W. Nimitz who became Commander in Chief, Pacific Fleet, shortly after the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor. Admiral Nimitz restored confidence to the fleet. From 1942 until mid-December 1944, he commanded American land, sea, and air forces in the Central and North Pacific areas from his new headquarters at Pearl Harbor.
This list of Hawaii’s historic properties is provided as a public service by Historic Hawaii Foundation. It is not the official list of properties designated on the Hawaii State Register of Historic Places. For official designations and determinations of eligibility, contact the State Historic Preservation Division of the Department of Land and Natural Resources of the State of Hawaii at 808-692-8015.