2484 Keneke Street (Lighthouse Road), Kilauea, Kauai 96754
SHPD Historic Site Number
National Register of Historic Places
The Kong Lung Store is a single-story Craftsman/bungalow-style structure of fieldstone up to the lower portion of the gable. It is the last of the stone structures built by the Kilauea Sugar Company and was constructed ca. 1941 to replace an older wooden frame building at the same site. The store is an example of how the masonry construction used for domestic architecture in Kilauea was adapted to a commercial building. It is also significant for its associations with the sugar plantation and the goods it provided for the plantation workers. While the building was owned by the plantation, it was managed independently by Chew Lung.
This list of Hawaii’s historic properties is provided as a public service by Historic Hawaii Foundation. It is not the official list of properties designated on the Hawaii State Register of Historic Places. For official designations and determinations of eligibility, contact the State Historic Preservation Division of the Department of Land and Natural Resources of the State of Hawaii at 808-692-8015.