Waikapu Protestant Church

Address
240 W Waiko Road, Waikapu, Maui 96793

TMK
(2) 3-5-012:036

SHPD Historic Site Number
50-04-1605

Abstract
The Waikapu Protestant Church is located on a hill above the village of Waikapu, overlooking the flat lands and the ocean below. The church ruins now consist of the four stone walls of the church. The roof and flooring are gone, as are the windows, doors, and their frames. The ruins of Waikapu Protestant Church are architecturally significant as an example of a nineteenth-century stone church on Maui. This church is one of approximately a dozen such stone churches to remain extant on the island. This church is typical of its period, having been constructed of local materials, including lava rock, coral mortar, and koa wood.

This list of Hawaii’s historic properties is provided as a public service by Historic Hawaii Foundation. It is not the official list of properties designated on the Hawaii State Register of Historic Places. For official designations and determinations of eligibility, contact the State Historic Preservation Division of the Department of Land and Natural Resources of the State of Hawaii at 808-692-8015.

2017-04-21T01:01:51+00:00 March 3rd, 2014|Categories: Historic Properties|Tags: |