The Old Bailey House is a combination of four structures built between 1833 and 1850. The original portion is a two-story, lava stone structure. A lava stone cookhouse was constructed slightly uphill from the main living area shortly after. An additional stone structure with a basement was built in 1837, sharing the south wall of the cookhouse. These structures were all connected in 1842. The Old Bailey House is significant as a physical record of the early missionaries who lived in the Wailuku area. It is one of the most complete and undiluted examples of early missionary architecture remaining in Hawaii. The buildings remain essentially as they were in the mid 1880s.
This list of Hawaii’s historic properties is provided as a public service by Historic Hawaii Foundation. It is not the official list of properties designated on the Hawaii State Register of Historic Places. For official designations and determinations of eligibility, contact the State Historic Preservation Division of the Department of Land and Natural Resources of the State of Hawaii at 808-692-8015.