The Molokai Light Station, which includes an impressive 138-foot-tall lighthouse tower and lantern, two keepers’ houses, additional ancillary structures, and other features, is located on approximately 22.8 acres on the northern point of the Makanalua Peninsula on the north cost of the island of Molokai. The light station was one of the first and most ambitious navigational aids built in Hawaii after the U.S. lighthouse services assumed responsibility for construction and maintenance of lighthouses, buoys, and other markers in 1903. The Molokai Light Station is significant as a representative of lighthouse and light station design in America during the early and mid-twentieth century.
This list of Hawaii’s historic properties is provided as a public service by Historic Hawaii Foundation. It is not the official list of properties designated on the Hawaii State Register of Historic Places. For official designations and determinations of eligibility, contact the State Historic Preservation Division of the Department of Land and Natural Resources of the State of Hawaii at 808-692-8015.