The Haiku Plantation Mill stands in ruins on a 1.9 acre parcel on the east bank of the Maliko gulch. The mill is overgrown with jungle. The mill operated for eighteen years, from 1861 to 1879, and was then abandoned. Seventy-five to eighty percent of the walls remain intact, although no roof, or traces of it remain. The walls are made of basalt stone, with door and window openings frames in cut basalt brick and block.The Haiku Plantation Mill ruins are significant for their associations with the early years of the sugar industry on Maui. At the time of the Haiku Sugar Company’s charter in 1858, there were only ten sugar companies in Hawaii. Haiku Plantation eventually merged with Paia Plantation to form Maui Agricultural Company.
This list of Hawaii’s historic properties is provided as a public service by Historic Hawaii Foundation. It is not the official list of properties designated on the Hawaii State Register of Historic Places. For official designations and determinations of eligibility, contact the State Historic Preservation Division of the Department of Land and Natural Resources of the State of Hawaii at 808-692-8015.