The Judge James L. Coke Residence was built in 1934 in Nuuanu Valley along the old Nuuanu Pali Drive. It is significant for its architecture and for its association with Chief Justice James L. Coke. Designed by architect C. W. Dickey, it typifies an upper-class residence of 1930s Hawaii featuring excellent landscape and architectural design. The house is a well-handled adaptation of the Colonial Revival style of architecture to Island life. The grounds for the property were designed by leading landscape architect Richard Tongg, who placed an emphasis on the Nuuanu Stream which runs along multiple sides of the lot. Judge Coke was an important figure in Hawaii during the early twentieth century; he founded the Democratic Party in the Islands in 1900 and served as Chief Justice of the Hawaiian Supreme Court through appointments by Presidents Woodrow Wilson and Franklin Delanor Roosevelt.
This list of Hawaii’s historic properties is provided as a public service by Historic Hawaii Foundation. It is not the official list of properties designated on the Hawaii State Register of Historic Places. For official designations and determinations of eligibility, contact the State Historic Preservation Division of the Department of Land and Natural Resources of the State of Hawaii at 808-692-8015.