[styledMap style=”classic” zoom=”16″ center=”3346 Kaohinani Drive, Honolulu HI 96817″ width=”670″ height=”300″ ] [addMarker position=”3346 Kaohinani Drive, Honolulu HI 96817″ icon=”miniBlue.png” description=”” ] [/styledMap]
The Purvis Residence was built in 1930 in lower Nuuanu on a sloping, landscaped lot overlooking Nuuanu stream. The house is significant for its architecture as a good example of a 1920/1930s Spanish Mission Revival residence in Hawaii. It was designed by architect C. W. Dickey and has a notable 1934 addition by Harry Sims Bent. Dickey and Bent were two of the major architects working in Honolulu during the 1930s. The single-story house exemplifies the Spanish Mission Revival style with plastered walls and red tile gabled roof. The home was built for R. M. Purvis, who for thirty-six years was associated with the Bishop National Bank, retiring in 1948 as its Vice President. The Purvis family resided in this house untill 1939.
This list of Hawaii’s historic properties is provided as a public service by Historic Hawaii Foundation. It is not the official list of properties designated on the Hawaii State Register of Historic Places. For official designations and determinations of eligibility, contact the State Historic Preservation Division of the Department of Land and Natural Resources of the State of Hawaii at 808-692-8015.