The Louis F. and Majorie Booth Stephens residence, located on the Pali Highway, was built in 1926. It is significant as an example of a colonial bungalow style house constructed in Hawaii during the 1920’s. The well articulated pedimented portico with its columns, modilions and the diminuitive window in its pediment place a strong colonial imprint on this symmetric composition. The paneled walls and ceilings of the spacious living/dining room further reinforce this colonial sensibility. At the same time, the house’s horizontality, bracketed, clipped gable roof, lava rock foundation, and side bay windows and rear wings, all place the residence within the larger bungalow tradition. Combining the two most popular residential styles of the time, the Stephens residence well reflects its period.
This list of Hawaii’s historic properties is provided as a public service by Historic Hawaii Foundation. It is not the official list of properties designated on the Hawaii State Register of Historic Places. For official designations and determinations of eligibility, contact the State Historic Preservation Division of the Department of Land and Natural Resources of the State of Hawaii at 808-692-8015.