The George Robert Ewart House was built in 1906 in lower Nuuanu. It is significant for its architecture and its association with Ewart, who was the manager of several large plantations and also knowledgeable in locomotive engineering. The house is an excellent example of vernacular architecture used for plantation manager homes throughout Hawaii at the turn of the twentieth century. The simple board and batten construction and large entry porch and large double hung windows are particularly well suited to both the climate and informal living of this period.
This list of Hawaii’s historic properties is provided as a public service by Historic Hawaii Foundation. It is not the official list of properties designated on the Hawaii State Register of Historic Places. For official designations and determinations of eligibility, contact the State Historic Preservation Division of the Department of Land and Natural Resources of the State of Hawaii at 808-692-8015.