The Alex G. and Jessie T. Horn Residence was built in 1929 on th West side of Manoa Valley. It is significant as being the work of architect Alvin Shadinger, and as an example of the larger homes designed by Lewers and Cooke in the 1920s. The prominent front facing gable, large lanai, built-in furniture, fireplace, and use of lava rock, stylistically relates closely with the Bungalow tradition as it developed in Hawaii. The design of the house addresses climatic conditions in the islands. A capacious lanai, double pocket doors, and large double and single hung windows enhance ventilation and encourage indoor-outdoor living.
This list of Hawaii’s historic properties is provided as a public service by Historic Hawaii Foundation. It is not the official list of properties designated on the Hawaii State Register of Historic Places. For official designations and determinations of eligibility, contact the State Historic Preservation Division of the Department of Land and Natural Resources of the State of Hawaii at 808-692-8015.