1802 Keeaumoku Street, Honolulu, HI 96822
SHPD Historic Site Number
The Ernest R. Cameron House, built between 1923 and 1924, is located in the Makiki residential district of Honolulu. The house features an irregular “L” shaped plan originally constructed as a single story structure; a partial second floor with five bedrooms was added above the mauka (east) wing in 1931. The Ernest R. Cameron House is significant as the work of a master: Honolulu architects Herbert Cayton Cohen (1923) and Robert G. Miller (1931 addition). The Ernest R. Cameron House is typical of homes built for upper middle class Honolulu families which emulated mainland styles while including features necessary for comfortable living in a tropical climate. The home is also significant for its association with the development of the emerging residential area of Makiki during the early 1920s which was spurred by the development of streetcar lines to suburban Honolulu neighborhoods.
This list of Hawaii’s historic properties is provided as a public service by Historic Hawaii Foundation. It is not the official list of properties designated on the Hawaii State Register of Historic Places. For official designations and determinations of eligibility, contact the State Historic Preservation Division of the Department of Land and Natural Resources of the State of Hawaii at 808-692-8015.