The James B. Mann House, built in 1954, is significant for its association with the development of the Tantalus area as a mountain retreat and residential district during the 20th century. This house is also significant as the work of master architect Albert Ely Ives whose prolific and renowned residential commissions during the 1950’s elevated him to prominance among his colleagues. The James B. Mann House is superior in its synthesis of Japanese influence and Hawaiian regional design by virtue to its use of local materials. This emphasis on local materials is an important marker for Hawaiian regional design, and the Mann House is the best known example of this characteristic in Ives’ residential work.
This list of Hawaii’s historic properties is provided as a public service by Historic Hawaii Foundation. It is not the official list of properties designated on the Hawaii State Register of Historic Places. For official designations and determinations of eligibility, contact the State Historic Preservation Division of the Department of Land and Natural Resources of the State of Hawaii at 808-692-8015.