In August, 1858, Charles Reed Bishop and W.A. Aldrich opened the first permanent banking establishment in Honolulu. Twenty years later, Bishop purchased the corner of Merchant and Kaahumanu property for a new bank building. The brick two-story building was completed in 1878 by builder T.J. Baker. In 1923, the bank moved to a larger headquarters and the building has been leased as office space ever since.
This list of Hawaii’s historic properties is provided as a public service by Historic Hawaii Foundation. It is not the official list of properties designated on the Hawaii State Register of Historic Places. For official designations and determinations of eligibility, contact the State Historic Preservation Division of the Department of Land and Natural Resources of the State of Hawaii at 808-692-8015.