[styledMap style=”classic” zoom=”16″ center=”33 Pilipu Place, Kailua HI 96734″ width=”670″ height=”300″ ] [addMarker position=”33 Pilipu Place, Kailua HI 96734″ icon=”miniBlue.png” description=”” ] [/styledMap]
The Mark Robinson Beach House is significant for its association with the Robinson family; with the development of Kailua as a beachfront community; and for its Colonial Revival architecture. The two-story, frame beach house was constructed in 1928 by one of Oahu’s affluent Hawaiian-haole families. It was built as a country house for weekend and summer get-aways on a large lot in Kailua that fronted the ocean. The original estate was later subdivided into ten lots, and a contemporary house now stands between the historic beach house and the ocean. The house was designed in the Colonial Revival style of architecture and some of its features represent adaptations to Hawaii’s climate, such as the H-shaped form with deepset lanais. It has a shake, hip roof with overhanging eaves and exposed eave brackets. this is one of the last beach houses from the early twentieth century to remain on Kailua Beach.
This list of Hawaii’s historic properties is provided as a public service by Historic Hawaii Foundation. It is not the official list of properties designated on the Hawaii State Register of Historic Places. For official designations and determinations of eligibility, contact the State Historic Preservation Division of the Department of Land and Natural Resources of the State of Hawaii at 808-692-8015.