The Anderson/Rosof House was originally built in 1928 by Town & Country Homes, Ltd., as skilled worker housing on the Kahuku Sugar Plantation. It was moved to its present site at Lanikai in 1942. The house is significant as an example of Hawaiian Plantation Style architecture. With its hipped roof, overhanging eaves, simple body massing, board-and-batten construction, and open floor plan, the house has character-defining features of the era. The house is further significant for its association with historical events. Plantation strikes of the 1940s resulted in the eviction of striking workers and their families and the selling of their homes, such as this one. The shortage of building materials during World War II and the residential development of Lanikai contributed to the moving of this house from Kahuku to Lanikai.
This list of Hawaii’s historic properties is provided as a public service by Historic Hawaii Foundation. It is not the official list of properties designated on the Hawaii State Register of Historic Places. For official designations and determinations of eligibility, contact the State Historic Preservation Division of the Department of Land and Natural Resources of the State of Hawaii at 808-692-8015.