The Royal Hawaiian opened on February 1, 1927. At a cost of $4 million dollars, it was the largest construction project in the Pacific at that time.
The architects were the New York based premier hotel designers, Warren & Wetmore, who were known for their other hotels including NYCs Ritz-Carlton, Biltmore, Belmont, Vanderbilt and Chatham hotels.
Today, the Royal Hawaiian remains a landmark of the famous Waikiki beach.
The land beneath the Royal Hawaiian is owned by Kamehameha Schools, a trust founded by Bernice Pauahi Bishop, heir to the Kamehameha dynasty, to support a school for the children of Hawaii.
The hotel itself is owned by Kyo-ya Hotels and Resorts, which leases the land from Kamehameha Schools. Starwood manages it under its current official name, “The Royal Hawaiian, A Luxury Collection Resort.”
Learn about the Royal Hawaiian Hotel
The history of the land
Building the Pink Palace
Room-by-Room look at the hotel
To celebrate the Royal Hawaiian’s grand re-opening following its recent and extensive rehabilitation project in 2008, Historic Hawaii Foundation hosted an event at Hawaii Theatre with the rehabilitation architects at WCIT Architecture. We’ve created this section on the Royal Hawaiian Hotel to share the information about its initial design and metamorphosis over the years.
Special thanks to Minatoishi Architects which provided photographs and information contained in this Royal Hawaiian Hotel feature.