This 17.5 acre land parcel is the site of Russian Fort Elizabeth, a large irregular octagon-shaped stone structure, that sits on the banks of the Waimea River. It is 300 to 450 feet in cross diameter and features 25-45 foot rock walls some of which are 20 feet high, with the stone foundations of a magazine, barracks, and other buildings still extant. The Fort is the most impressive reminder of attempts by the Russians to gain a position of influence in the Hawaiian Islands during the early 19th century. Later occupied by Hawaiian troops it was abandoned in 1853.
This list of Hawaii’s historic properties is provided as a public service by Historic Hawaii Foundation. It is not the official list of properties designated on the Hawaii State Register of Historic Places. For official designations and determinations of eligibility, contact the State Historic Preservation Division of the Department of Land and Natural Resources of the State of Hawaii at 808-692-8015.