Our Lady of Peace Cathedral is a simple rectangular plan measuring approximately 51′-4″ across and 155′-5″ in length. Construction began in 1840 and the structure was completed in 1843. The street front is divided into three bays by large Doric columns, accentuating the Roman design of the building. The foundations of the building are coral rock as are the exterior walls of the entire building. Since the completions of the building the exterior and interior of the building has been altered. Our Lady of Peace Cathedral is significant for its associations with the religious struggles that took place in the Hawaiian Kingdom between 1820 and 1850.
This list of Hawaii’s historic properties is provided as a public service by Historic Hawaii Foundation. It is not the official list of properties designated on the Hawaii State Register of Historic Places. For official designations and determinations of eligibility, contact the State Historic Preservation Division of the Department of Land and Natural Resources of the State of Hawaii at 808-692-8015.