Kawananakoa Playground is a 2.4 acre parcel situated at the lower end of Nuuanu Valley in a highly populated residential district and was constructed in 1937. A poured concrete perimeter wall, approximately three feet high, encircles the playground on the side streets. Kawananakoa Playground is significant for its associations with the development of parks in the City and County of Honolulu in the 1930s and the playground movement. In addition, the park is significant architecturally as its design is typical of the period and reflects the work of Harry Sims Bent, of the more prominent architects practicing in Honolulu at the time.
This list of Hawaii’s historic properties is provided as a public service by Historic Hawaii Foundation. It is not the official list of properties designated on the Hawaii State Register of Historic Places. For official designations and determinations of eligibility, contact the State Historic Preservation Division of the Department of Land and Natural Resources of the State of Hawaii at 808-692-8015.