The Kapuaiwa Building is a simpler version of Aliiolani Hale which has been described as an “English inspired ideal of Italian Renaissance Architecture.” The original two-story building was constructed by George Lucas in 1884 to house official government documents but was immediately put to use housing government offices instead. Architecturally, the Kapuaiwa Building is significant to the Civic Center Complex in Honolulu. It was the third structure in Kamehameha V’s projected civic center and was given one of the Monarch’s personal names, Kapuaiwa.
This list of Hawaii’s historic properties is provided as a public service by Historic Hawaii Foundation. It is not the official list of properties designated on the Hawaii State Register of Historic Places. For official designations and determinations of eligibility, contact the State Historic Preservation Division of the Department of Land and Natural Resources of the State of Hawaii at 808-692-8015.