[styledMap style=”classic” zoom=”16″ center=”3399 Diamond Head Road, Honolulu, HI 96816″ width=”670″ height=”300″ ] [addMarker position=”3399 Diamond Head Road, Honolulu, HI 96816″ icon=”miniBlue.png” description=”” ] [/styledMap]
The Diamond Head Lighthouse is a 57 foot white concrete pyramidal tower with a red roof. It sits seemingly on the side of a sharp cliff when viewed from seaward, and at night the light can be seen up to 18 miles by the mariner. The Lighthouse and accompanying buildings have not changed since 1917. Today, this station also serves as quarters for the commander of the 14th coast guard district. The Diamond Head Lighthouse was first established in 1899 to guide mariners into the then budding port of Honolulu and is significant for its association with the expanding port.
This list of Hawaii’s historic properties is provided as a public service by Historic Hawaii Foundation. It is not the official list of properties designated on the Hawaii State Register of Historic Places. For official designations and determinations of eligibility, contact the State Historic Preservation Division of the Department of Land and Natural Resources of the State of Hawaii at 808-692-8015.