Central Union Church is located at the corner of South Beretania Street and Punahou Street on an 8.4 acre campus. The Sanctuary building was designed by Ralph Adams Cram of the Boston firm of Cram and Ferguson and built in 1924. The design in its Colonial Revival style was intended by the congregation to express the church’s New England Heritage. The chapel was designed by Mark Potter and completed in 1949. The location of the chapel was intended to maintain the Great Lawn, create a village green between the two buildings, and incorporate an existing exceptional Monkeypod tree within an adjoining courtyard. The buildings and lawn at Central Union Church are significant as exceptional examples of the Colonial Revival church architecture adapted to the local tropical region of Honolulu, Hawaii. The church embodies the Congregational Church’s influence and impact on Hawaii, as it evolved from the missionary organizations which were instrumental to the culture, institutions and history of post-contact Hawaii. On a local level, the stone for both buildings coincided with the opening and closing of the Moiliili quarry.
This list of Hawaii’s historic properties is provided as a public service by Historic Hawaii Foundation. It is not the official list of properties designated on the Hawaii State Register of Historic Places. For official designations and determinations of eligibility, contact the State Historic Preservation Division of the Department of Land and Natural Resources of the State of Hawaii at 808-692-8015.