[styledMap style=”classic” zoom=”16″ center=”1525 Bernice Street, Honolulu, HI 96817″ width=”670″ height=”300″ ] [addMarker position=”1525 Bernice Street, Honolulu, HI 96817″ icon=”miniBlue.png” description=”Bernice P. Bishop Museum” ] [/styledMap]
The Bishop Museum Historic District consists of eight structures: the exhibition complex of Museum Hall, Polynesian Hall, Hawaiian Hall, Paki Hall, Konia Hall, Pauahi Hall, Science Center, Bishop Hall, Dormitory D, and Dormitory E as well as their surrounding land comprising approximately 7.98 acres. The first building of the museum was constructed in 1889. The Bishop Museum Historic District is significant based on its combination of architectural, cultural, scientific, educational, and historical significance. Founded by Charles Reed Bishop, Hawaii’s first banker, as a memorial to his wife, Bernice Pauahi Bishop, the last of the royal Kamehameha line.
This list of Hawaii’s historic properties is provided as a public service by Historic Hawaii Foundation. It is not the official list of properties designated on the Hawaii State Register of Historic Places. For official designations and determinations of eligibility, contact the State Historic Preservation Division of the Department of Land and Natural Resources of the State of Hawaii at 808-692-8015.