[styledMap style=”classic” zoom=”16″ center=”822 Bishop, Honolulu, HI 96813″ width=”670″ height=”300″ ] [addMarker position=”822 Bishop, Honolulu, HI 96813″ icon=”miniBlue.png” description=”” ] [/styledMap]
Built in 1929, the Alexander and Baldwin Building is a four-story building constructed of steel with concrete casings. The most dominant feature is the high double pitch, with wide overhangs, tile roof which features exposed rafters. On the fourth floor there is a projecting balcony which continues around the entire building. The main entry is a two-story ground portico with six square columns. The large main room on the first floor has Travertine walls bracketed by tiled murals. The Alexander and Baldwin Building is significant for its associations with the Alexander and Baldwin corporation which has played an important role in the economic development of Hawaii. The building is also significant as an example of architecture that combines Oriental and Western designs adapted to the Hawaiian climate designed by C.W. Dickey and Hart Wood.
This list of Hawaii’s historic properties is provided as a public service by Historic Hawaii Foundation. It is not the official list of properties designated on the Hawaii State Register of Historic Places. For official designations and determinations of eligibility, contact the State Historic Preservation Division of the Department of Land and Natural Resources of the State of Hawaii at 808-692-8015.