The Ala Wai Canal is a 2-mile long man-made waterway of variable depth and width located in the Waikiki district of Honolulu that was constructed between 1921 and 1928. It forms the boundary of the Waikiki district, separating Waikiki form the Makiki, Moilili, and Ala Moana areas of the city. There are three bridges across the canal, and the length of the makai side of the canal is spanned by a concrete tree-lined sidewalk. The Ala Wai Canal is significant because of its pivotal role in the development of the Waikiki district, first as a residential neighborhood and soon after as a resort area.
This list of Hawaii’s historic properties is provided as a public service by Historic Hawaii Foundation. It is not the official list of properties designated on the Hawaii State Register of Historic Places. For official designations and determinations of eligibility, contact the State Historic Preservation Division of the Department of Land and Natural Resources of the State of Hawaii at 808-692-8015.