The Hakalau Plantation Manager’s House is an asymmetrical, two-story, wood-frame structure sited on a knoll that presides over the town of Hakalau and the site of the former sugar mill. The house has a corrugated metal hipped roof and an outset porch that wraps around the left side of the house. The house also has a centered porte cochere and a single-story lanai. The Hakalau Plantation Manager’s House is architecturally significant at the state level as an example of a late nineteenth-century plantation manager’s house; it is typical of its period in design, craftsmanship, materials, and methods of construction. It is also significant for its associations with the history of Hakalau Sugar Plantation, and John Munro Ross, who managed the Plantation from 1905 to 1946.
This list of Hawaii’s historic properties is provided as a public service by Historic Hawaii Foundation. It is not the official list of properties designated on the Hawaii State Register of Historic Places. For official designations and determinations of eligibility, contact the State Historic Preservation Division of the Department of Land and Natural Resources of the State of Hawaii at 808-692-8015.