St. Benedict’s Catholic Church

Address
84-5140 Painted Church Road, Captain Cook, Hawaii 96704

TMK
(3) 8-4-006:006

SHPD Historic Site Number
10-47-7230

National Register of Historic Places
#79000753

Abstract
Saint Benedict’s Church was built by a Belgian priest, Father John Berchmans Velghe, who came from the Marquesas by way of Tahiti between 1899 and 1902. It is a small rectangular structure with a vaulted interior ceiling. The church blends folk art, one of the things that make up the foundation of America, and sets it in harmony with the architecture. Saint Benedict’s Church is significant for its role in the American folk art movement that took place during this time period.

This list of Hawaii’s historic properties is provided as a public service by Historic Hawaii Foundation. It is not the official list of properties designated on the Hawaii State Register of Historic Places. For official designations and determinations of eligibility, contact the State Historic Preservation Division of the Department of Land and Natural Resources of the State of Hawaii at 808-692-8015.

2017-04-21T01:03:33+00:00 January 27th, 2014|Categories: Historic Properties|Tags: , |