The Old Volcano House #42 is a one-story building of 10 rooms, approximately 110 feet long and 35 feet wide with several shed-like additions on the rear and Hilo sides. A need for hotel-type, overnight quarters and food service at Kilauea crater for the many non-Hawaiian visitors, who came to see the volcanic activity, resulted in commercial operation of a Volcano House, intermittently from 1849-1866 and continuously since. The 1877 Volcano house building was the first of Western architecture and replaced the native-style thatched houses that were previously available.
This list of Hawaii’s historic properties is provided as a public service by Historic Hawaii Foundation. It is not the official list of properties designated on the Hawaii State Register of Historic Places. For official designations and determinations of eligibility, contact the State Historic Preservation Division of the Department of Land and Natural Resources of the State of Hawaii at 808-692-8015.