The Kohala District Courthouse stands on a prominent rise overlooking the plantation town of Kapaau. It is a modest, one-story frame structure with a lateral running gable roof of corrugated iron. Several additions have been placed on the rear of the original 56′ x 32′ rectangular building. The Kohala District Courthouse is significant as a good example of late-nineteenth century plantation architecture applied to a public building. Built in 1889 under King Kalakaua, the building is one of less than half a dozen monarchy period district courthouses listed in the sate inventory.
This list of Hawaii’s historic properties is provided as a public service by Historic Hawaii Foundation. It is not the official list of properties designated on the Hawaii State Register of Historic Places. For official designations and determinations of eligibility, contact the State Historic Preservation Division of the Department of Land and Natural Resources of the State of Hawaii at 808-692-8015.