Kahikolu Church is a 56′ x 62′ lava rock building that stands on an isolated, level area of lava surrounded by dense kiawe groves. It is characterized by its masonry walls and gable roof of corrugated iron with a tall steeple. The church has been abandoned since 1953 and is in poor condition. The church is significant both historically and architecturally. Historically it represents one of the earliest Protestant missions established in the Kona area. It is one of only two nineteenth-century stone churches standing on the Big Island and is one of the oldest stone church buildings remaining in the State.
This list of Hawaii’s historic properties is provided as a public service by Historic Hawaii Foundation. It is not the official list of properties designated on the Hawaii State Register of Historic Places. For official designations and determinations of eligibility, contact the State Historic Preservation Division of the Department of Land and Natural Resources of the State of Hawaii at 808-692-8015.